Let the dance of life begin

I am here to sound off on anything I feel I need to voice about as well as to share and to have others share with me. My sister locks are what got this started.... so here is to celebration of my 'nappy tresses, my sister locks' and indeed life with all it offers.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kingston, Jamaica

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Breadfruit, Roast yam & salt fish



The breadfruit tree is my favourite tree I love the leaves. When I was growing up and would spend time with my grandparents they had a big one (breadfruit tree) in the front of the yard I guess some of it is nostalgia (: My DH and I were stuck on Mt. Rosser so I grabbed the camera and took this pic. Roast yam and salt fish is one of the dishes I think the West African slaves who came to Ja. brought it is delish (Rachel Ray coined this I think). The yellow yam and salt fish are put in the open wood fire roasted and then scraped, a little fat (margarine usually) is put on the hot yam and voila its a nice combination...... maybe when you come you can try it.

4 Comments:

Blogger brunsli said...

Okay, after all the breadfruit my dh ate, I am surprised there is any left in Jamaica!

4:53 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I can almost smell it! Now that puts me in the mood for some callaloo and fish and fungi.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Cashana said...

When I was in Jamaica I didn't try the breadfruit, yams or saltfish and I had a list of things to try while there. Love your pictures and hopefully I will return to Jamaica in 2009.

9:29 AM  
Blogger RedDredPrincess said...

Oh breadfruit.....

When Brunsli and I went to Nine Mile we were starving afterwards, even after a delicious veggie patty at the Nine Mile cafe.... so, we wandered down the road to a local restaurant and had this GREAT chicken, peas and rice and roasted breadfruit..... It was so good!!! I am having flashbacks..... Now, I am even more excited about our trip!! Can't wait to meet you!

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home