Let the dance of life begin

I am here to sound off on anything I feel I need to voice about as well as to share and to have others share with me. My sister locks are what got this started.... so here is to celebration of my 'nappy tresses, my sister locks' and indeed life with all it offers.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kingston, Jamaica

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Does this make me lesser than......

I do not like to read the news papers or listen to the news on the radio or the television. Because usually the content is too negative and I cannot deal with it. Everytime I do I am reminded why I don't. I can watch the British Broadcasting Corporation or even CNN but the local news here at home so negative and if there is any positive they tack it on t the end 'whats the point?'. This evening my DH and I were trying to get to the cinema to watch a movie so on the way there I was listening to the radio, I was away for a little while, so today was the first time I was listening to any news in a while and again all nagative.

What happens is that when I listen to or look at this type of communication its like I absorb the nagtive energy and it depresses me!!! real bad. So what I want to know is does this make me like I don't know any lesser than the next person I have taken the decsion not to.

Keeping abreast of whats going on at home is important for several reasons but right now self preservation is the name of the game.

one love still

5 Comments:

Blogger brunsli said...

Honestly, this is one of the reasons I have lived without a TV for most of my adult life. While I do miss watching mindless daytime TV when I'm home sick, the senasationalism and fatalism of the news really gets to me.

I listen to NPR (National Public Radio), which is pretty high quality, and read The New Yorker. That's it, pretty much. If you feel like you need a dose of news now and then, see if you can stream National Public Radio over the internet or find a podcast.

9:27 AM  
Blogger brunsli said...

PS Kudos to you for recognizing something that exerts a negative influence in your life and getting rid of it!

9:27 AM  
Blogger Leighann said...

Nothing wrong with exercising free will and self preservation. If you don't, who will?

12:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Still,

I don't watch the news either. I only turn it on in the AM for a few short minutes when I'm trying to catch the weather. Even so, some negative news bites do slip in...

I've even gone as far as to look up "happy news" or "good news" on the internet. Do a search. I think you will be pleasantly surprised!

10:45 AM  
Blogger Abena Abena said...

I understand what you mean, on the one hand I do believe it is important to stay informed but there are other ways to do it besides constantly watching the news.

3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home