Let the dance of life begin

I am here to sound off on anything I feel I need to voice about as well as to share and to have others share with me. My sister locks are what got this started.... so here is to celebration of my 'nappy tresses, my sister locks' and indeed life with all it offers.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kingston, Jamaica

Monday, August 27, 2007

Life after Dean

Well life has continued but we my family (my DH and I) have much to do we lost pretty much everything (that was in the house we call home) as a result of DEAN's water + wind = roof damage. We now have a major clean up and rennovation on our hands but we are taking it one moment at a time. We have life, each other and our families and so we press on. Added to that is the fact that we are away from home (the house) but none the less we press on. On a hair note this is just one more time its good to have locks that I care for myself so no hair worries or stress. There are some questions I would like to put out here in the blog world
  • what is the best way/s to salvage books and papers that have been totally soaked through?
  • when you have to go to work at different hours (on a shift) what are some food items that can be utilized for breakfast and at lunch time (when you are preparing yourself) ? I could/should do some research but I think the responses I get here are likely to be more creative (:
  • can anyone suggest a good brand of support stockings? one that can be worn all day (:
  • and any tips for doing presentations to large groups of varying demographics would appreciated (:
  • there are some other topics I thought of today but as of now I cannot remember what they are (: but when I do I will be sure to post them?

thanks so much for your support

ps I have a post I typed a while back its gonna come after this it should have been posted first (: but eh

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger brunsli said...

Oh no!

I don't know why, but I had assumed everything was okay. Well, you and your family are safe, so the most important things are okay.

*big hug*

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My goodness... I'm definitely happy to hear you and your family are ok. The house and books and whatnot can be replaced but like Brunsli mentioned the most important things are ok.

Hang in there..

7:04 PM  
Blogger N'Drea ~ the Storyteller said...

I'm so sorry!

But I'm glad you and your family are okay. You have life and each other, and that's important.

During Gilbert, I had some books that had gotten soaked through. I had to put them on a piece of zinc in the sun for days. You could try that, but be prepared for lots of water spots.

How about carrying a thermos of hot porridge/oats/soup with a sandwich for breakfast/lunch? Another option: Quaker Oats has these instant oatmeal packages, where you just add hot water or milk. But that's if you like oats or oatmeal. If not, you could try Muelsi by Dorset Cereals. Yeah, I'm a cereal fan :) Fruit plates are also good for breakfast and/or mid-morning snacks. You could stock up on those. If you're a meat eater, sorry I won't be of much help.

I could check out the support stockings for you. There's one that's on the tip of my tongue, but I can't remember the brand. BTW, have you ever tried the Greenpak brand?

Hope these suggestions help. If I can think of any others, I'll let you know.

7:47 AM  
Blogger N'Drea ~ the Storyteller said...

Re the presentations, remember to research your audience which will help the relevance of your topic; use visuals and cue cards; make frequent eye contact; and if possible or applicable, try to get your audience to participate, e.g. by asking one or two persons a question. An icebreaker or attention-grabber at the beginning of your presentation is also good. Also, when practising before, time time yourself, so that you'll stick within the time limit. Leave a few minutes at the end of the presentation for questions-and-answer session. Oh, and re use of visuals, check the venue to see if there is an adequate set-up in place if you plan to use electronic equipment, such as a projector, laptop, tv, etc.

7:56 AM  
Blogger still waters said...

thanks for the love guys the clean up and roof repair starts in earnest this week end God willing

one love still (:

ps n'drea thanks for the suggestion those are some great tips

8:28 PM  
Blogger Goodnapps said...

Oh dear, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Glad you are still able to look at the bright side of things. My prayers are with you and I do wish you a speedy recovery.

5:43 PM  
Blogger ja stu sisterlock journey said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh no!! You had fallen off my radar, and now i feel terrible that you guys were hit so hard!!! I AM glad that you're all doing ok, though.

Hmm... if you still have an oven, maybe you can try putting your books in there, on low heat... but try at your own risk!!! Or maybe the microwave?? Well, that's assuming there is no plastic or metal bindings...

hmm.. I don't know about support garments, but have you tried Spanxx?? They're awesome... the tuck everything in, giving your clothes nice, clean lines. I don't have any suggestions for the rest, though.

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home