Let the dance of life begin

I am here to sound off on anything I feel I need to voice about as well as to share and to have others share with me. My sister locks are what got this started.... so here is to celebration of my 'nappy tresses, my sister locks' and indeed life with all it offers.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kingston, Jamaica

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Sisterlocks

This really is to get some feed back I have been thinking about doing the sisterlocks course for a while but I have some reservations so if there is anyone who has done the course or has not and wants to weigh in please do

  • I have never really been into hair actually the most I have ever taken care of my own hair has been since I got sisterlocks so I am wondering for that amount of outlay am I going to be able to make a return on my investment not because of the demand but my committment to doing hair?
  • I cannot nor have I ever really been inot doing things like cornrows or bantu knots do these skills determine the type of success you have at sisterlocks.
  • Does doing the course mean that I have to do my own hair I really like going to my consultant(:
  • But at the end of the day I really want to be able to offer to others the freedom and beauty of embracing what God gave us without altering out natural texture and as much as I am a self confessed product junkie with minimum product (: unless you wanna

Brunsli on that note I want to bet a hooded dryer any recommendations ?(:

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger brunsli said...

I love hair and I love educating people about natural hair, but that love doesn't translate into a need to actually do hair.

As for the bonnet dryer, I just have a simple Gold'n'Hot dryer that costs about $35 US.

5:32 PM  
Blogger brunsli said...

Oops, I guess I should mention...

I have never managed to be patient enough for the dryer to finish drying my hair. Usually I was my hair, towel dry it, put it on soft spikes, sit under the dryer for an hour, and go to bed. In the morning, my hair is dry. Without the hour under the dryer, it doesn't dry by morning.

5:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hmm. I'm with brunsli. It seems as if you have something else going (grad school, I presume) which you may be more interested in. I you do decide to be a SL consultant, your time will be divided. I can't possibly imagine rooting around in other people's head...

9:08 AM  
Blogger Quietspirit said...

My counsultant never did hair before she did sisterlocks. She did not braid but she is very good at doing sisterlocks. She also does not retighten her own hair. I think she trades retightening with the woman who trained her. So you do not need a hair background to do sl. To me the training seem like a large outlay of money not to do sl. There are a number of people who do sisterlocks and something totally unrelated to hair.

From a consumer's point of view, I did miss a stylist's styling abilities as my consultant did not do (and does not do) styling, cuts and color.

10:24 AM  
Blogger RedDredPrincess said...

So, I understand you being passionate about your hair and excited about the difference it has made in your life but I wonder if this is the path you should take if you have never been a "hair person." I mean you will spend hours in someone else's head on a regular basis.... It is a lot of time to dedicate to something that you don't LOVE. I like taking care of my own hair but have limited interest in doing anyone else's it is someone I really care about.

Also, if you are looking at this as a business opportunity then you need to also consider
1)how big your target market is, 2)how much you would need to charge and how many people would actually be able to afford your rates,
3)how much time you could dedicate to the endeavor and how many customers you could manage to take on given your other commitments and
4) how many customers you would need to make it worthwhile.

If all those things add up then maybe you should consider it....

5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad you posted this. I am passionate about my hair and what I hope is a natural revolution for us. It has made me think about what part I can play to continue to push it forward. This in turn had me playing around with the idea of becoming a consultant but then I remember that I really don't like to do hair and although I would love to be able to do SL's on a small scale I just don't think the desire is big enough for me to invest the money in. Perhaps your desire is larger than mine but RDP brings some great points to it. Also check in with Renea to see if she can add some valuable info because she is a trainee.

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home