Let the dance of life begin

I am here to sound off on anything I feel I need to voice about as well as to share and to have others share with me. My sister locks are what got this started.... so here is to celebration of my 'nappy tresses, my sister locks' and indeed life with all it offers.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kingston, Jamaica

Friday, January 16, 2009

I think I been played...


So I am awake going through the usual bout of insomina and wondering hmmm what do? well I have not blogged in a while so I thought I would drop a few lines here. My hair I think needs some TLC or maybe just some... and so I think I am going to make and effort to give it some loving this weekend. Something came to mind recently regarding sisterlocks and the products and it just had me wondering are we supposed use those products for the entire time we wear sisterlocks? So if I have my locks for a lifetime I use the products forever hmm I wonder. So there is absolutely nothing else on the market that can do the job of those products? hmm wondering again. So I am back to the drawing board looking for 'options' once again and I got a hot tip from the moms :) so I am going to move on it. Additionally there is a wealth of information on blogs, youtube and other placeson the internet. In books and magazines as well as word of mouth so it should be interesting to see what I find. I just woke up one morning this week and thought this is mad and so options I am on the look out for you cause there are good natural and not so natural ones out there. I feel like I have been played...but heads up the wool has been removed from mine eyes.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Locs2Envy said...

Your love is a cutie pie.

I've used sisterlock shampoo one time - in the beginning - because I was told that I had to (it's a marketing game). Although I understand the concept of stripping the oils from your hair to encourage faster locking, I was and am still quite content with allowing my hair to lock on its own terms and not have my hair feel like a brillo pad or feel as dry as the Sahara Desert. It didn't feel like that pre-SL and I refuse to allow it to feel like that afterwards. I went back to using my products that I was using before SL. They are all high moisture products and I still use them.

My personal opinion is that if your hair has locked, use whatever products you want on your hair - as long as it doesn't cause build up or get caught inside of your locks. You know what's best for your hair. The consultants have been trained to encourage SL products use -again it's marketing. Hair is hair; locked or not. Be Blessed!

4:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with nihuru, mostly. While i do think the SL starter shampoo is mostly marketing, i think it's wise for the home office to try to break our ingrained habits regarding black hair care: oils, moisutizers, treatments-- all mostly unneccessary when your hair is natural. also, for those of us with softer hair, having our hair feel like a brillo pad is a good thing, in the beginning. I would have spent a LOT more money and time in my consultants chair if i had kept on using my regular shampoo. as it was, half of my locks slipped out anyway.

7:09 AM  
Blogger CaribSun said...

I too am not buying into the marketing thing. I completely understand the need to not have your locks too soft or too oily in the beginning, as this hinders the locking process, but I do not believe that the sisterlocks products are the only ones that will help you to achieve locked hair. I enjoy trying different hair products until I find the one that does it for me. Locks have been around for centuries, and I am sure women have coped with them quite well throughout the ages.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

I have never used the SL products and don't intend to; I don't think that my hair has suffered at all.
I use a tea tree and mint shampoo weekly and condition once a month. I sometimes spritz with tea tree oil and water, but not very often.
I think there are lots of comparable products on the market, many them are cheaper and for me being in the UK, most of them are a lot easier to access.

1:37 PM  
Blogger ja stu sisterlock journey said...

Kerr check out Amba's sisterlocks journey from Africa to London to Atlanta blog, she posted info on a product we could try.

2:53 PM  
Blogger anthia-ofo said...

I have never used sls products. My consultant didn't have any and I decided to use alternatives like dreadheadhq, knotty boy, black soap, etc and my hair has settled and is locking away.Still the idea of initially avoiding moisturising shampoos and staying from heavy oil use is a good one, but from what I hear other claryfying shampoos are as good or better than the sls starter shampoo.

11:02 AM  
Blogger KnottyAuthor said...

glad you had an epiphany
i wash with african black soap and spritz with aloevera juice with a bit of rosemarry. been working for 2.5 yrs now.....

1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know the Sisterlock company is trying to push as many of their products as they can but there are always extenuating circumstances. I think everyone should know that their shampoo is a clarifying shampoo and any clarifying shampoo will do...

For those of us with extremely dry scalp and extremely coarse(hhmm..hhmm 'nappy') hair, we don't need to use this shampoo cause it will leave our scalps extra dry and agitated...

Use the products that work best for you but know the types of products you shouldn't be using...

That was a long comment huh? :)

7:23 PM  
Blogger Kandgoods said...

My loctitian usely strickly WATER ONLY- she has the most beautiful, waste length, shiny, uniform locks!She has instructed me to do the same, must admitt, a healthy diet plus copious amounts of water IS your friend...I'll try and stick a pic of her up soon! x

3:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home